A few tips to get you started...
Our mornings start outdoors at 6 a.m. and our days are spent in the mountains at various elevations and physical environments. Mornings can be quite cool, afternoons quite warm, and there may be a spring shower.
- spotting scope*
- field guide(s)
- hat with a visor**
- rain jacket
- hiking shoes
- allergy medicine
- personal emergency medical kit***
- travel snacks
- battery chargers
- notebook and pencil
With chilly Appalachian mornings and warm afternoons, most days require layers.
- long and short sleeved shirts
- comfortable clothes and shoes for down-time
We will provide a bird species checklist and water bottle to every participant upon arrival.
*We have at least one spotting scope on each field trip.
**NRBNF uber-awesome hats are available for purchase at the Meadows all week of the Festival (while supplies last).
***We have an emergency medical kit available on each field trip.
A few weeks before the Festival, we send participants maps, directions and information. Please review it and bring it with you to help ensure you reach your destination without getting lost.
We eagerly look forward to hosting and birding with you during your stopover!
Registered guests should watch your email in mid-February for your final invoice (payable by March 15) with itinerary, information and maps – all of which you should bring along with you.
- If you are staying at any of our cabin lodging partners, check in is between 3 and 5 p.m. the day before your first field trip.
- Birding by Butt is at the Meadows at Opossum Creek Retreat - coffee will be ready at 6 a.m; birds and breakfast will follow on their own schedule.
- All field trips (except Birding by Butt) will meet at Burnwood campground at 6 a.m. in an outdoor pavilion for a hot buffet breakfast. Burnwood is located immediately north of New River Gorge Bridge, across Rt. 19 from the National Park Service Canyon Rim Visitor Center.
- Trips depart no later than 7 a.m.
- All Dinners and Presentations are at the Meadows at Opossum Creek Retreat. Popcorn Presentations start at 3'ish; dinner starts at 6; evening presentations at 7.
- Gold Standard trips return by 2; Premium trips by 4:30; All-Day trips by 5 p.m.
- To check-in at the Festival, when you arrive at the Meadows (Birding by Butt, or Popcorn Presentation, or Dinner) look for one of your hosts (Rachel, Geoff, Keith - we wear yellow and blue name tags) and we will gladly get you settled in.
Recommended from here: Where We Are, Bird Checklists, and Area Info
RETURN TO TOP